Hello lovelies! Colleen Tyler here from Maple Syrup Designs for Craftin’ Desert Divas showing you my Ombre Background Using Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pens.
These pens can be used on their own or brushed over with a damp paint brush to blend out like watercolours. They have a huge amount of mica in them which provides the best sparkle in a pen I have come across to date.
Take a piece of watercolour cardstock and start by brushing on the Spiced Cherry Sparkle Pen in long strokes horizontally working up from the bottom of the cardstock.
Now take your clear overlay sparkle pen and at the top of the where you stopped with the Spiced Cherry blending in with the clear. This will dilute the pigment and make a lighter pink. Continue to blend over the pink pulling the colour up the card, again in horizontal strokes until the pink fades to a vert light colour.
Using a damp wide paint brush blend all over the card to smooth out the blending lines, dry with your heat gun.
4. Using the fancy frame die, cut out the largest scalloped rectangle.
5. Position the sentiment from the “Look For The Stars” stamp set and stamp in black ink in the top left of the card.
6. Colour the sweet little bear sleeping on the moon with coordinating colours (I have used Spectrum Noir Illustrator Markers on SN Ultra Smooth card). Glue the bear onto the bottom right of the card.
7. Adhere to a card blank and add Nuvo Morning Dew Crystal Drops for effect.
I hope you have enjoyed this little tutorial! This Ombre effect can be achieved in many ways, this is just my favourite, explore and experiment to find your favorite!
Hello everyone, it’s Colleen from Maple Syrup Designs here for Craftin’ Desert Divas! Today I am going to be showing you how to use Nuvo Embellishment Mousse with your stencils.
There are so many different techniques you can do with Nuvo Mousse, and I will show you more in the future, but for today’s card I used a very simple technique that anyone will be able to do. This can be done with any stencil, but I am using Craftin’ Desert Divas Cloudy Sky Stencil.
Place your stencil in the corner of a piece of smooth white cardstock (my preference is Spectrum Noir Ultra Smooth), tape down with some washi tape.
Choose the colours of Nuvo Embellishment Mousse you would like and start by simply dipping your finger in the pot and applying in circular motions. For this Card I used: Lilac Lavender, Aquamarine, Cornflower Blue, Custard Cream, Coral Calypso and Peony Pink.
Apply these in whatever pattern you like totally filling in the stencil.
Remove the stencil.
In all the white borders apply glue from a deco foil glue pen and sprinkle with Frosting powder, heat set with your heat gun.
Trim the card down to a 5.25″ square.
Take a piece of white glitter card and cut to 5.5″ square, then using a Frame Punch Board, cut out a 1/2″ frame.
Using double sided tape attach the frame to the front of the cloud panel.
Attach this whole panel onto a 6″ square card blank, set aside.
Using the Craftin’ Desert Diva’s Sparkle stamp set cut out the following stamps and colour using your favourite medium (I use Spectrum Noir Illustrator Markers).
Cut out the word “Happy” using the Craftin’ Desert Diva’s Happy Die using aqua and white card.
Affix the sentiment and two unicorns to the card and you are done and have one bright and happy card suitable for many occasions.
Hello Crafty friends! Colleen Tyler here from Maple Syrup Designs for Craftin’ Desert Divas!
In today’s post I am going to show you how to make extra (not to mention super fun) use of your stencils. For many people when you think of stencils you things of inking through them, but for this project I ran stencil with my card through my Gemini to emboss a sweet background. you can thing distress ink over the embossed are, however, the look I wanted for this card was to leave it all white so that there was a bit more colour pop around it.
1) Layer your stencil in your die cutting machine with the embossing mat for the best result and simply run it through the machine to get the detail embossed onto your card stock. At this point it you wanted to add distress ink to the embossed parts on the cardstock you totally could.
2) Next I layered the embossed background onto a slightly larger piece of green card, and then that on to a 6″x6″ card base using a permanent tape runner.
3) Colour the images using your favorite colouring medium, for me I use Spectrum Noir Markers. Once coloured cut our the images and mount on to the lower right hand corner using foam squares to give you card a little more dimension. Cut out a 2″ green circle and a 1.75″ white circle and adhere together, once this is done simply stamp your sentiment onto the circles and affix to the top left hand corner of the card (*if you get a slight gap in the stamping where the two colours of card meet, simply take a fine point black pen and fill it in).
4) Apply some Nuvo Jewel drops in “Key Lime” in random places on the card and voila, you’ve used your stencil outside of the box!!
Hello Divas! Its Colleen here from Maple Syrup Designs with a fun Craftin’ Desert Divas project for you today making a marbled background.
I have recently started using a Gel Plate after a friend was telling me about the projects she had made with them, they are super fun to use and I am just discovering how they work with different mediums. This card was the first time I made a background using Distress Oxide Inks, I love the outcome and it was super easy!
To make this background you will need:
1 – A Gel Plate
2 – A Brayer
3 – Distress Oxide Inks (any colour combination that you like)
4 – 28lb Smooth printer paper
The First thing you will need to do is roll some ink onto the brayer, and then simply roll it onto the Gel Plate. Wipe off the brayer between colours and just keep rolling ink onto the Gel plate in any pattern you would like.
Once you have the plate inked up, take the piece of paper, lay it over the top of the plate and smooth the back of the paper with your hands and then peel up the paper.
The great thing about using Oxide Inks as opposed to paint is that the paper dries in like a minute!
Next I adhered the Inked background to a piece of white glitter paper and then onto a sheet of glimmery aqua cardstock. The weather Gnomes Set was Perfect for this background, so I coloured up one of the little figures, cut out some clouds and stuck them onto the card with foam squares.
Stamp The sentiment on the bottom left side of the card and use Nuvo Crystal Drops in Morning Dew to make little raindrops around the card.
Today I will be showing you how to add some dimension to your cards. There are many ways that you can add dimension to your cards, so I have chosen a few techniques that I use often to highlight as I walk you through the steps of this card.
Stamp your image and colour using your preferred medium, for this card I have chosen to use Craftin’ Desert Diva’s Sparkle Stamp Set, stamped using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink and coloured using Spectrum Noir Illustrator Markers with the Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Pen. 2. Cut out a cloud template along the edge of a scrap piece of card. Using your mini blending tool and Distress Ink in Broken China Blend over the template edge onto the card, continue this process as you move the template all the way down the card. This adds a background layer of dimension to your card by adding depth. Stamp your sentiment in the bottom left of the card (leave enough room around the edge for a border).
3. Use a glue Pen and trace along the edges of the clouds, sprinkle on some Frosting Powder and heat set. When heat set the frosting powder raises up and becomes white and frosting looking adding texture and sparkle to the card.
4. Use the Inside Scalloped Square die to cut out a frame, add foam squares onto the back of the frame and adhere to the cloud base of the card.
5) Cut out the Unicorn and add a mini wobble Spring to the back. Both step 4 and 5 are quick and easy ways to add simple dimension to your card, and who doesn’t like the added fun of a wobble spring to a card?!
6. For the Final step of Dimension I have added some Nuvo Drops in “Morning Dew” dotted around the card. I hope you have enjoyed and look forward to seeing what you make!
Hello Everyone! It’s Colleen Tyler from Maple Syrup Designs here with my first blog post for Craftin’ Desert Divas!
This new release from Craftin’ Desert Divas is gorgeous and lots of fun, I can’t tell you a whole lot just yet but I do have a card to share with you that I made using the NEW Sweetest Birthday Stamp Set.
Here is a quick little tutorial of how I made this fun little Birthday Shaker Card:
1) For the first step I cut out a large 4″ Stitched Circle from the Craftin’ Desert Diva’s “Stitched In Circle Die Set”, Then using my Nuvo stencil brush I lightly brushed the entire circle in all directions using Nuvo Embellishment Mousse in Peony Pink and Coral Calypso.
2) Next I took the 3″ Small Circle die from the Craftin’ Desert Diva’s “Inside Scalloped Circle Die Set”, placed in the center of my 4″ circle and ran it through my die cutting machine, make sure you also keep the little scalloped frame as you will use this also.
3) Using pink and coral sequins I filled a 2″ shaker pouch and covered with a small piece of acetate, using a double sided tape runner adhere the acetate edges to the back of the circle frame, now place the small scalloped frame you set aside in the center of the circle to polish off the look of the circle shaker.
4) Using you large scallop die from the “Stitched In Circle Die Set” (CDD), cut out from a piece of white card stock. You will want to cut the center circle out of the white card as in step 2 so that the shaker pocket fits through, adhere to the back of the shaker circle.
5) Stamp and cut out the stamp with the male and female mice decorating a cake, as well as the two birds holding the banner. Using your favorite colouring medium colour in the stamped images, for this piece I have used Spectrum Noir Illustrator Markers and Ultra Smooth Alcohol Marker cardstock. Glue the mice to the bottom of the circle and the birds at the top.
6) Cut out a square of coordinating paper, attach to a card base, add a circle behind the shaker of Nuvo Mousse brushed card and affix the card top to the card base and you are done!
I think this would make a super cute set of cards in a variety of colours! Happy Crafting 🙂
I started this card ages ago, and decided I would take a break from Christmas themed cards yesterday and finish it. I love, animal stamps so this set is up there in my favorites and perfect for a little “explorers” birthday!